Venue: The Council Chamber, Town Hall, Corney Place, Penrith, CA11 7QF
Election of Chairman
To elect a Chairman of the Council for the 2022-2023 municipal year.
Appointment of Vice-Chairman
To appoint a Vice-Chairman of the Council for the 2022-2023 municipal year.
Apologies for Absence
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of the existence and nature of any private interests, both disclosable pecuniary and any other registrable interests, in any matter to be considered or being considered.
RECOMMENDATION that the public minutes:
1. Cl/84/05/22 to Cl93/05/22 of the meeting of Council held on 28 April 2022;
2. AGc/68/05/22 to AGc/73/05/22 of the meeting of the Accounts and Governance Committee held on the 5 May 2022;
3. HRa/66/05/22 to HRa/70/05/22 of the meeting of the Human Resources and Appeals Committee held on the 11 May 2022;
4. Lic/54/05/22 to Lic/59/05/22 of the meeting of Licensing Committee held on 11 May 2022;
5. OS/63/05/22 to OS/73/05/22 of the meeting of Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 12 May 2022;
6. Pla/181/05/22 to Pla/192/05/22 of the meeting of Planning Committee held on 19 May 2022;
7. CAB/130/05/22 to CAB/142/05/22 of the meeting of Cabinet held on 24 May 2022;
be confirmed and signed by the Chairman as a correct record of those proceedings.
Chairman's Acceptance Speech and Announcements
Statement by the Leader
To consider the attached report DoR46/22 of the Assistant Director Legal and Democratic Services which proposes the distribution of seats in accordance with the rules of political proportionality and to make appointments to the Committees for the 2022/23 municipal year.
1. the proposed allocation of seats as set out in this report be approved;
2. the appointment of Members to Committees as set out in Appendix 2 be approved;
3. the appointment of Members to Working Groups as set out in Appendix 3 be approved;
4. the Green Group and Labour Group adopt a reciprocal arrangement where the nominated Members can act as Standing Deputies.
[Note: Appendices 2 and 3 to this report will be sent ‘to follow’]
Election of Chairmen
To Elect Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen for the following Committees for the 2022-2023 municipal year:
1. Accounts and Governance Committee (Chairman);
2. Finance Scrutiny Committee (Chairman and Vice-Chairman in accordance with Section D6, Paragraph 1.4 (page 51) of the Council’s Constitution) ;
3. Human Resources and Appeals Committee (Chairman);
4. Licensing Committee (Chairman);
5. Overview and Scrutiny Committee (Chairman and Vice-Chairman in Accordance with Section D5, Paragraph 1.4 (page 48) of the Council’s Constitution); and
6. Planning Committee (Chairman).
To consider the attached report DoR39/22 of the Assistant Director Legal and Democratic Services, which outlines the previously approved calendar of ordinary meetings for 2022-23.
1. Council notes the calendar of ordinary meetings for 2022-23 attached at Appendix 1 to this report;
2. all Members and Standing Deputies of the Planning, Licensing, and Accounts and Governance Committees undertake full training prior to these Committees’ first meetings in each new municipal year; and
3. it be noted that Portfolio Holder meetings will be held on an ad hoc basis when there is a requirement for a Portfolio Holder to make a decision under delegated powers.
To consider the attached report DoR45/22 of the Assistant Director Legal and Democratic Services, which seeks to approve the list of Outside Bodies for the municipal year 2022/2023, and which Members should be appointed to represent the Council on each of the listed bodies.
1. The list of outside bodies set out in paragraphs 3.2 and 3.6 in the report be approved;
2. Members of the Cabinet be appointed to the outside bodies identified in paragraph 3.2;
3. Members give consideration to the nomination of non-Cabinet Members to the bodies listed at paragraph 3.6 of this report;
4. Members note the requirement to provide a summary note for outside body meetings attended as previously agreed by Council for any outside bodies they may be appointed to;
5. Those bodies upon which Eden District Council will be represented by another body for 2021/2023 as detailed at paragraph 3.7 of the report be noted and consideration be given to appointing an observer; and
6. Council determines if it wishes to appoint Member Champions in relation to:
(a) the Armed Forces;
(b) Children and Young People;
(c) Older People; and
[Note: Appendix 1 to this report will be sent ‘to follow’]
To consider the attached report DoR44/22 of the Interim Director of Resources, which seeks to approve capital budgets for four capital grants to support Affordable Housing projects across the district. The grants will be funded through Section 106 receipts and are being considered for approval by Cabinet on 24 May 2022.
RECOMMENDATION: subject to Cabinet approval of the Capital Grants, that Council approves budgets totalling £544,000 to be included in the Capital Programme 2022/23 to be funded from Section 106 receipts.
To consider the attached report CE3/22 of the Chief Executive, in respect of the options for the post of Director of Resources and statutory requirements under Section 151 of the Local Government Act 1972 from June 2022 until April 2023.
RECOMMENDED: that Council
1. approves the extension of the current arrangements with the Interim Director of Resources until 31 March 2023; and
2. agrees to fund the £71,860 cost of the extension from Revenue Reserves.
Date of Next Scheduled Meeting
The next scheduled meeting of Council be confirmed as Thursday 28 July 2022 at 6.45 p.m. in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Penrith.